Dayton. Formerly a community 8 mi south of Artesia and 1 mi east of US 285. Named for JC Day, founder of the town in 1902. First located NE of the Penasco River. A townsite was laid out on the West side of the railroad during the winter of 1904/1905 and everything but the post office and a store which belonged to a Captain Chase moved to that location.